Institute of Tourism Studies
THE INSTITUTIONAL PROFILE
Institute of Tourism Studies (I.T.S.) is a premiere institute providing high-quality education in the field of tourism management and providing consultancy to the industry. The Institute was established in the year 1994 under the flagship of the University of Lucknow. Equipped with a fraternity of young as well as experienced professionals, the Institute is churning out enthusiastic and efficient young professionals every year to serve the ever-growing tourism industry; the industry, which is poised to be numero uno in the 21st century. Thirteen dynamic batches of “Masters of Tourism Management (M.T.M.)/MBA (Tourism)” and ten bathes each of Bachelor of Tourism Administration (BTA)/BBA (Tourism) and Post Graduate Diploma in Travel Management (PGDTM) are already serving the industry in high recognition. Besides, two batches of DIAT & CRS (Diploma in International Airline Ticketing & Computerised Reservation System) have also been well received by the market.
The last seven years have seen the Institute grow steadily in terms of quality education and competent faculty. Today, the Institute enjoys a high degree of repute by esteemed organisations of the tourism industry. The other distinguishing feature is the approval of A.I.C.T.E. and financial support from the U.G.C. for conducive atmosphere of professional education.
Currently the Institute is flourishing on an independent campus in the Lucknow University premises and provides the state of art facilities to its students that include a rich library with an exhaustive collection of books, audio-visual aids etc. Regular seminars, symposia, workshops, case studies, trade fair, cultural events etc. are a part of various activities organized by the Institute to give the students an in depth exposure and enhance their personality.
A common aim - ‘To put in our best’ is shared by the faculty, the students and the administrative staff alike. We are committed to be socially responsive through co-operative, entrepreneurial and creative endeavours. At the same time, the drive to attain individual excellence, in order to achieve professional growth is encouraged all along. A strong sense of integrity underlines all our efforts.
To aid our endeavour and to keep abreast with the changing times, the courses are designed to focus on:
· The fundamental concepts in Travel and Transport, Hotel, Tours and Leisure related services.
· The nature, scope and the trends in the areas of modern tourism.
· The technical, human and conceptual skills to sharpen and develop the- students’ personality.
· Research and inference studies of various tourism related aspects.
The students have complete access to extensive collection of textbooks, journals, travel and trade magazines and all the leading newspapers of the country via an extremely well equipped library of the institute itself. Along with this, the students are also eligible to use the Library of the University -The Tagore Library- one of the largest libraries in India.
Within a very short span of time, the Institute has also built up its very own Computer Centre with the latest software and State of Art technology. In addition, the students are also entitled to use the computer centre of Lucknow University.
COMPUTER RESERVATION SYSTEM (CRS)
In pursuance to the changing demand of the industry, the Institute has started imparting practical training on Computer Reservation System (CRS), namely Amadeus and Abacus. Thorough knowledge of working on CRS package gives the students an edge in their placements. Institute also signed a MoU with Abacus Distribution System for certification from Abacus itself.
1. Master of Business Administration (MBA- Tourism)
Master of Business Administration (MBA- Tourism) is a two-year (4 Semester) full time program, which provides a comprehensive understanding of tourism and travel. Objective of this course is to develop professionally trained manpower for the tourism industry and allied industries like cargo. The career is dynamic, vibrant, growth oriented with a lot of potential.
2. Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA- Tourism)
Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA- Tourism) is a professional job oriented 3-year (6-semester) full time Bachelors Degree in Tourism Administration from the 1998-99 session.
This course is designed to provide the young plus 2 passed out students with an in-depth knowledge of tourism administration at the bachelors degree level itself, to fulfill the ever-growing demand of trained manpower in the tourism industry.
3. POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN TRAVEL MANAGEMENT (PGDTM)
This is a one-year (2 Semester) job oriented program that aims at providing the market with professionals who are trained to deal with the travel management, travel being the core of tourism management.
4. DIPLOMA IN INTERNATIONAL AIRLINES TICKETING & CRS
This is a one-year job oriented program that aims at providing the market with professionals who are trained to deal with CRS like Amadeus, Galileo, Abacus and Worldspan.
5. TRAVEL and TOURISM MANAGEMENT (TTM)
T.T.M. is offered as one of the subjects at undergraduate level. It is a job-oriented course designed for those who are seeking a career in travel industry. It also provides them a strong foundation for pursuing higher studies in tourism management.
The focus of instructional methods employed is on developing knowledge, skills and attitudes required of professional managers. Appropriate techniques / tools are employed depending upon the nature and objectives of the course. The combination of teaching methods include lectures, case studies, business games, role playing, quizzers, brainstorming sessions, library-based researches, projects based on field work and computer-based exercises etc.
Regular group discussions among the students are organised to inculcate team spirit and further enhance their knowledge and communication skills.
CLASS ROOM PRESENTATIONS
The students are required to conduct a research and survey on the given topics followed by presentation and question-answer session, which built their confidence and writing, analytical and research abilities.
PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
Personality development programs with the help of Management games, Case studies, mock situations, extempore, etc. are conducted regularly to enhance personality of each and every student of the Institute.
Tours are organised to places of tourist interest. By such tours, the students gain in terms of practical knowledge. The students are made aware of the rich resource and the heritage of the country. Students are required to present a tour report.
FOCUS AREAS AND DISTINGUISHING FEATURES
· Emphasis on all key areas related to Environment and Technical Aspects of Tourism.
· General Management.
· Behavioural Studies.
· Computer Applications
· Computer Reservation System (CRS) (Amadeus, Abacus)
· Foreign Language (French and German) and International Tourism
· In-depth knowledge of Hotel Management, Managing Travel Agency, Civil Aviation and other subsidiaries of the tourism industry.
· Special feature of the courses are that besides heavy rigour in theoretical grooming, heavy emphasis is on- ‘On the Job Training’ under which every student is attached to tourism related organisation. This enables the students to get first-hand experience of the working environment.
EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
The exposure to all the sport activities provided by the Lucknow University are available to the dynamic students of the institute. The Institute has also started an Inter Management Institutes Cricket Tournament for which it holds the running trophy too.
Each year the I.T.S. makes if not a leap, but a symbolic one towards the ‘Kshitij’ on the 27th of September: “The World Tourism Day”. This is a day of celebration for the students and the faculty as well.
The day sees a number of events as part of celebrations. Various institutes and education houses are invited from all over the city, who in turn participate in various events and competitions with equal enthusiasm and fervour. An attempt is made, in disguise of such events and competitions, to promote not only Lucknow as a tourist destination, but also tourism as a whole.
The Kshitij is more like an auspicious event to commemorate “The World Tourism Day” and create tourism awareness.
PARYATANOTSAVA-THE TRADE FAIR
In the year 1997 the Institute has made a premiere effort to celebrate its annual function in the form of a Trade Fair by the name of Paryatanotsava.
This gala event was organised from the 17 to 19 December’97 at Gulab Vatika near Baradari, Kaiserbagh, Lucknow.
It is a cohesive effort to provide a common platform to all ancillary and subsidiary industries related to tourism. The concept ‘Paryatan Jan Jagrati’ aims to facilitate interaction amongst the various representatives of the trade with the upcoming professionals of the Institute and expose the common masses to the thrill of tourism.
The participants of the Trade Fair comprised of travel agencies, airlines, hotels, resorts, tour operators, souvenir industry including handicrafts and cuisine from various states.
SEMINARS AND SYMPOSIA
Seminars and symposia is a regular feature of the Institute to glorify and update the tourism industry. Seminars organized by the Institute are:
7. National Seminar on “Tourism Opportunities in Uttar Pradesh in the Present Scenario” on October 6 and 7, 2001 at Hotel Taj Residency, Lucknow. The first seminar of its kind to discussed the various tourism opportunities in U.P. in the post Uttaranchal era. The participants also discuss the impacts of WTC 9/11 on tourism industry and moreover on the tourism industry in U.P.
1. Prof. Arvind Kumar Director
2. Ms. Anupama Srivastava Faculty and Coordinator MBA (Tourism) Program
3. Mr. S. Mehdi Hasan Rizvi Faculty/Computer Programmer and Coordinator, DIAT & CRS Program
4. Ms. Geeta Mishra Lecturer and Coordinator BBA (Tourism) Program
PUBLICATIONS OF THE INSTITUTE / FACULTY
1. Nepal: Sanskriti Evam Paryatan (in Hindi)
(Edited by: Dr. Nishith Rai and Dr. Manoj Dixit)
2. Nepal: Ek Chitravali (in Hindi)
(Edited by: Dr. Nishith Rai and Dr. Manoj Dixit)
3. Tourism Products
(Authored by: Dr. Manoj Dixit and Dr. Charu Sheela)
4. BHARAT KE PRAMUKH PARYATAN UTPAD (in Hindi)
(Authored by: Dr. Nishith Rai and Dr. Manoj Dixit)
5. Dimensions of Indian Tourism
(Authored by: Dr. Manoj Dixit)
6. Cargo Management
(Authored by: Dr. Manoj Dixit and Dr. Surabhi Srivastava)
7. Travel Agency Management
(Authored by: Dr. Manoj Dixit and Dr.Surabhi Srivastava)
1. Anthropology and Tourism (Forthcoming)
(Authored by: Anupama Srivastava and Keya Pandey)
2. Tourism Concepts
(Authored by: Dr. Manoj Dixit and Dr.A K Singh)
3. Understanding Tourism Terminology
(Authored by: Dr. Manoj Dixit)
RESEARCH PROJECTS / EVALUATION REPORTS UNDERTAKEN
1. An Evaluation Study of Rehabilitation of Bonded Labour in Sonebhadra district of Uttar Pradesh conducted for the Government of U. P.
2. An Evaluation Study of Rehabilitation of Bonded Labour in Mirzapur district of Uttar Pradesh conducted for the Government of U. P.
3. Profiling of international tourists and analysis of management of tourism in Goa, with special emphasis on child labour and pedophilia in the tourism sector.
4. Project on the “Socio- Economic Impacts of Tourism: A case study of Varanasi Region”
5. An evaluation of ecological impacts of tourism in Uttaranchal (Gaurikund, Kedarnath, Gangotri, Harsil) conducted for Dept. of Tourism. Govt. of U.P.
6. An evaluation of tourism impacts in North East (Darjeeling, Kalimpong, Gangtok, Changu Lake, Nathula Pass etc.)
7. An evaluation of tourism and ecological impacts in Madhya Pradesh (Khajuraho, Panna National Park, Jabalpur, Pachmarhi, Jhansi etc.)
8. An evaluation of tourism impacts in Himanchal Pradesh (Dalhousie and Dharmshala, Palampur and Kangra Valley)
9. An evaluation of the dimensions of tourism in Rajasthan (Jaipur, Jodhpur, Osian and Jaisalmer)
10. Profiling of international tourists and analysis of tourism in Goa.
11. Profiling of tourists and analysis of tourism in Siliguri-Darjeeling-Kalimpong-Gangtok, Kshangu Lake-Nathula Pass etc..
12. Evaluation of Tourism Impacts at Rishikesh-Kedarnath-Harsil-Gangotri-Uttar Kashi etc.
13. Evaluation of Tourism Impacts at Kufri-Chail-Shimla-Manali-Kullu-Rohtang Pass etc.
14. Evaluation of Tourism Impacts at Manali-Kullu-Rohtang Pass etc.
15. Evaluation of Tourism Impacts at Jodhpur, Osian, Jaisalmer & Sam Sand etc.
16. Evaluation of Tourism Impacts at Darjeeling, Gangtok etc.
17. Evaluation of Tourism Impacts at Chennai, Pondicherry, Banglore & Mysore etc.
18. An evaluation of Lucknow Mahotsava‘98
19. An evaluation of Lucknow Mahotsava ‘99
CONSULTANCY PROVIDED TO
· Banaras Hindu University( BHU), Varanasi
· M.G. Kashi Vidyapith, Varanasi
· Rajarshi Tandon Open University, Allahabad
· B.R. Ambedkar Bundelkhand University, Jhansi
· CCS Meerut University, Meerut
· Board of Technical Education, U.P.
· Kumaon University, Nainital
The Institute was conferred the prestigious “Youth Hostel Ratna” award by the Youth Hostel Association of India (YHAI) for the Institute’s role in Promotion and Development of Tourism in India. We are the first Institute to receive this coveted award and it has brought laurels to our beloved Lucknow University.
Each year the Institute makes exhaustive arrangements for the summer placements and final placements of students from each program. The Institute over a period of last five years has been able to fulfill this task. On an average of 60 - 75 percent of the total strength of the students are recruited through campus efforts.
So far, the Institute has been able to provide summer placements/ final placements to its students in the following reputed organizations: